| Hmm, Chocolatey... |
I call this recipe "Dark Cupcakes" because the end result tastes similar to very, very dark chocolate (the kind of chocolate that is 70%-90% cocoa). These cupcakes are extremely chocolatey but not very sweet. The texture is more thick and moist than a typical cake or cupcake; less fluffy, more decadent.
For a variation, you can add nuts to this recipe. In the pictures below, I use chopped walnuts, which worked wonderfully. However, any kind of nut that tastes good with dark chocolate would work (almonds, pecans, and peanuts are a few examples).
This Recipe's Health Goodness:
- It's entirely sugar-free and sweetener-free--no refined sugar of any kind, no artificial sweeteners.
- It's very low in unhealthy fats (simply replacing the egg with two egg whites would make it fat-free).
- It's high in dietary fiber.
- It's contains lots of cocoa powder, which is an antioxidant-rich "superfood"
INGREDIENTS:
1 egg
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 banana (preferably overripe)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
nuts (optional)
(Note: this makes 9 mini-cupcakes)
(Note: this makes 9 mini-cupcakes)
STEP 1:
Set your oven to 300 degrees F.
(Yes, 300, not 350. Recipes with lots of fruit in them need to bake longer at lower temperatures.)
STEP 2:
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend them.
If you don't have a food processor, then break this into three mini-steps:
Mash the banana in your mixing bowl.
Mix the vanilla extract and egg into the mashed banana.
Whisk in the flour and cocoa powder.
When step 2 is completed, the batter should be thick and gooey.
STEP 3:
Prepare your cupcake pan. You can either grease it with butter or coconut oil, or use little paper cupcake liners. I have a nonstick mini-cupcake pan, so I skipped this step entirely.
STEP 4:
If you're making plain cupcakes:
Spoon the batter into the cupcake pan, until each cup is about 2/3 full.
Spoon the batter into the cupcake pan, until each cup is about 2/3 full.
If you're adding nuts:
Spoon in batter into each cup until the cup is about 1/3 full.
Put in your filling ingredient and gently push it into the batter. Try to make sure the filling ingredient is approximately in the middle of the cupcake.
Carefully spoon more batter on top of the filling ingredient until it is fully covered.
Either way, at the end of step 4, the pan should look something like this.
STEP 5:
Bake the cupcakes until you stick toothpick in them and it comes out clean. For mini-cupcakes, this is about 20 minutes. I haven't tried making these in a different size so the baking time could vary.
STEP 6:
When the cupcakes are done baking, remove them from the baking pan and let them cool on a plate.
STEP 7 (optional):
When the cupcakes have cooled, frost them with All-Fruit Chocolate Frosting.
When you're done, enjoy the treat!
works with white flour too if you don't have whole wheat on hand. Very tasty ! Meets with Tim's approval.
ReplyDeleteNext time I am going to try a bit of baking powder, to see if I can get a slightly fluffier texture. Nevertheless, they all disappeared quite quickly. Fast and easy to make too
Tried again, this time adding 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Actually I think it is better without- not much fluffier, but there is a still taste from the baking powder since it is not masked by sugar. Also tried various fillings- coconut (unsweetened- kind of messy, not particularly recommended), a single dried cherry (not particularly noticeable in its effect- maybe a bit sweeter) and slivered almonds- the best filling so far.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback! I have modified the recipe based on your results. I'm now recommending only adding nuts.
Delete